Thursday, June 29, 2006

How Do I Teach Them That?

... How do I teach them wisdom, and compassion, and how not to abuse their powers?
--- Luke Skywalker to Mara Jade, on the instruction of his sister's children


Have I mentioned?

One of best parts about going to graduate school is the classmates.

Because you are all older, wiser and different, listening to your classmates share their experiences in class is like seeing the world again for the first time; or seeing the possibilities of your own life anew for the first time in a long time. I like this feeling. Like I'm free. That I can still claim my place in this world. That I'm not too late.

All I need is courage.

Yesterday we had Psych 220: Research Methodology: Issues and Problems. Yeah, it sounds boring. But really it isn't. Probably because the teacher isn't. She's sharp, and tough, and funny and sensitive, and you get the feeling that she's reading you like a book, even if you're just sitting in class (or maybe especially if you are just sitting in class). This woman with her 2o years of experience in field research; whose work changed her; whose work seeks to change other people's lives. Of course my mind immediately made up romanticized images of The Noble Researcher's Meaningful Life in the Field, although I know the truth is far from that idyllic picture. It's just nice to be inspired. Who says inspiration had to be realistic?

But... back to reality. After this class, I ride home with one of my friends, and her friend from work, Joa and Helene. Sometimes Joa's father drives us; sometimes her papa does :-). And this is fun too.

I miss my friends.

No comments:

Start-Up: Exciting and Heart-Fluttering

To me the following conversation best illustrates the nature of Dalmi's feelings for the penpal Dosan (i.e. HJP) and the present Dosan (...