Monday, May 22, 2006

I present to you these two droids..... (Day 2)

"...both are hard-working, and will serve you well."
--- Luke Skywalker to Jabba the Hutt, Return of the Jedi



And that's how I felt I guess, on presentation day. Like I was going to be offered to Jabba the Hutt.


Well, not really. But my fingertips were cold as I waited for my turn.


Apparently however, I needn't have worried.


For the first day, the presentation sessions were arranged 2-3 per hour, with coffee breaks and lunch interspersed after every hour. Paper presentations were divided among 4 venues, so that for each hour, about 8 papers were being presented, in groups of 4, simultaneously. (I hope you got that).




Which is my long way of saying only 10 (or less) people stayed around to listen to ours.


It didn't help that we got the last time slot either (1630-1730).


Some interesting comments on our presentation though:

- Nigerian delegate, coming up to me and saying that I was a role-model: "A girl talking about math... you are a role model!" (which made me feel like I was 12).

- Chair for the session: "I almost forgot to ring the bell (to signal that we had gotten past the 20-minute time limit), I was listening to your presentation."

- Singapore delegate, the next day: "Did you present yesterday? Because I heard from my colleagues that 2 Filipino presented yesterday, and it was very good." (are they required to say this because they're the hosts?)


So it went well enough I guess. I'll do better next time though!












No comments:

Start-Up: Exciting and Heart-Fluttering

To me the following conversation best illustrates the nature of Dalmi's feelings for the penpal Dosan (i.e. HJP) and the present Dosan (...